For this assignment you are going create a presentation intended to be used by the National Autism Center to educate those who are unfamiliar with the language and social skills challenges associated with autism spectrum disorders. In this PowerPoint presentation you will outline assessment and intervention strategies that can be used to identify and address the language and social skill challenges commonly found in young children from birth to 8 years of age with Autism Spectrum Disorders. You will also highlight the importance of using research- and evidence-based practices when providing intervention to children with autism.
You PowerPoint presentation should be a minimum of 15 slides, which includes a title slide and reference slide.
Be sure to include the following information in your presentation:
? Examine the significance of addressing language and social skills during the intervention process for children with autism.
? Discuss the importance of using research-based and evidence-based interventions when working with children with autism.
? Discuss at least four intervention strategies that can be used to help children with Autism Spectrum Disorders communicate appropriately in multiple settings.
? Evaluate the pros and cons of each intervention strategy you have chosen to discuss, and explain how/why you would utilize these strategies as a professional working in your field. Please indicate whether the interventions you discuss are research- and evidence-based and how you know this.
As with all writing, be sure to include citations if you use information from any source to avoid plagiarism. It is always necessary to give the author credit. In addition, please make sure to include a reference page. If you need assistance, please use the APA Quick Reference Guide in the Course Home Page or visit the Kaplan University Writing Center.
Unit 9 Project Grading Criteria
125 possible points
0-113 points Content:
· Includes an introduction to the presentation and describes its intended purpose (3 points)
· Examines the significance of addressing language and social skills during the intervention process for children with autism spectrum disorders (15 points)
· Discusses the importance of using research based/ evidence based interventions when working with children with autism (10 points)
· Discusses at least 4 intervention strategies that can be used to help children with autism spectrum disorders communicate appropriately (50 points)
· Discusses how intervention strategies can be used in multiple settings (20 points)
· Explains how to utilize these strategies as a professional (10 points)
· Indicates whether the interventions discussed are research and evidence based and how this is known (5 points)
0-12 points Mechanics:
· Met length requirement (2 points)
· Written in Standard American English with correct grammar/spelling (5 points)
· APA style with a title and reference page with at least 3 references (3 points) At least 18-point font (1 point) Visually appealing use of Power Point (1 point)