Assignment 7: Delivering a Persuasive Speech
Choose one of the following scenarios as the basis for your speech.
Scenario 1: Imagine that you have been invited to an upper-level management meeting at the company that you work for (currently or one you hope to work for). You are going to deliver a persuasive speech to persuade the management team to either change a policy or add a specific resource to their company budget.
Scenario 2: Imagine that you have been invited to deliver a speech at a town hall meeting. You are going to deliver a persuasive speech to persuade citizens in your community to vote yes toward the allocation of city funds towards a project or cause that you believe will benefit all members of your community.
Tips to Successfully Complete this Assignment:
- Carefully review Monroe’s Motivated Sequence in your lesson notes (about 3/4 of the way down the page) to help you create a well developed persuasive speech.
- Be sure to view the grading rubric before beginning. This is an important key to your success.
- Finally, fill out the provided outline to help you successfully complete your speech. Be sure that you do some research and use facts and statistics as supporting material for your key points!
- Note: You can view the grading rubric and download the provided outline, and submit your assignment by clicking on the arrow to the next page titled “Assignment:7.”
You have THREE format options for submitting your speech: written, video, or audio.
To submit a written speech:
- Be sure to follow the “Tips for Success” above
- Submit your speech with an APA style title page.
- Limit your speech to five minutes, or 700-1000 words.
- Use Monroe’s Motivated Sequence in the provided outline to help you develop your speech so that you have an introduction, three key points, and a conclusion.
- Write your speech using tips, techniques, and guidelines studied in the lesson.
- Create an APA style reference list that includes any and all sources you use to locate information.
- Save your assignment as a Word (.doc or .docx) document, and upload it to the Assignment Folder on the page titled Assignment:7.
To submit an audio or video speech:
- Be sure to follow the “Tips for Success” above.
- If choosing one of these options you must speak clearly.
- You must include all parts of your speech (introduction, body, and conclusion).
- Do NOT verbally say the words “introduction,” “body,” or “conclusion.” Instead, you will use the outline provided to write and deliver your speech so that the listener can clearly identify the parts of your speech as they listen for them, and they hear your transitions. If you would like to submit your outline, you may, but you do not have to.
- Also, if choosing one of these options, sources must be cited orally. For example, you would say, “According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics….” or “In the February 2016 issue of Forbes Magazine, Bill Gates said, ‘….’.” In addition, submit a list of your references in APA style.
- Save your audio or video recording on your computer then upload it AND your list of references to the Assignment Folder on the page titled Assignment:7.