Unit 5 Discussion Question: Unidentified Condition: Glutamate, Memory Loss
Throughout the discussions in this course we will be focusing on one single condition; gradually unfolding week by week how this condition can grossly affect the entire human body and its systems.
The goal of the course discussions is primarily, to build upon the skill of differential diagnosis and secondary, to give a clear view as to how a single pathological process can possess the ability to affect an entire human organism.
Each week you will be presented with varying components of a new system being adversely affected by the unidentified condition. Your task as a healthcare professional in training, is to thoroughly research and envelop yourself within the process of differential diagnosis to arrive at a definitive diagnosis at the end of the course in week 8.
In phase one of the discussion, you will be tasked with presenting your researched information into a video or written presentation answering the questions below, while also considering your response and symptom presentation from weeks 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Video presentations should be a minimum of three minutes in length and should not exceed four minutes. Written presentations should be a minimum of 2-3 paragraphs per each diagnosed condition (3 conditions minimum).
- Glutamate: Increased production of the neurotransmitter Glutamate
- Memory Loss: Recent demonstrated memory loss
Previously, you researched and considered three conditions through the process of differential diagnosis that would present with varying abnormalities in homeostasis, metabolism, triglycerides and DNA in week 1. Abnormalities in oxidation, plasma and tissue enzyme activity, inflammation and alopecia respectively in week 2. Increased cortisol and demonstrated bone loss in week 3 and fibromyalgia and muscle atrophy in week 4. Given the new symptom presentation above, consider and answer the following questions within a written presentation:
If choosing a written presentation, create a 2-3 paragraphs per each of the questions listed below.
- Is there a connection between the previous increased cortisol symptoms and an increase production in the neurotransmitter glutamate? Explain or debunk this connection.
- Are increased cortisol and increased glutamate associated with memory loss and neuron degradation in the central nervous system (CNS)? Rationalize and explain your answer.
- Do you believe this recent memory loss to be purely psychologically associated, purely biochemically associated or a mixture of both? Rationalize and explain your answer.
- Within your written presentation, please be certain to validate your opinions and ideas while disclosing the sources utilized within your video presentation or written presentation (APA format).